To ship items on dry ice, any biological, infectious, or genetically modified materials, you must first complete training:

Category B, Dry Ice, and GMO shipping training
Frequency: Every 2 years
Web Based : Register for this training

If you work in a BSL3 lab and are shipping any of the above, you must take:

Category A, B, Dry ice, and GMO shipping training

Frequency: Every 2 years
Web Based : Register for this training

If you need to ship any chemicals, including biological materials that have been preserved or fixed in a chemical solution, please submit a request for shipping here:  Chemical Shipping Form

For information on transporting research materials between campuses and on public streets, please review the University’s Materials of Trade exemption policy

Packaging Materials and Labels

EH&S does not sell or provide packaging materials other than labels. 

To request shipping labels, please contact Paula Rapp or Angela Hall .

EH&S does not have a preferred vendor or preferred specific materials. Packing materials for biological and infectious materials may be purchased from any vendor providing certified and tested packaging. 

Fisher Scientific

Inmark (formerly SafTPak)

Avantor (formerly Therapak)

Additional Considerations

If you are shipping an item that involves intellectual property, you may need a Material Transfer Agreement.  Please contact the Office of Technology Management

Operators may have additional requirements regarding hazardous materials.  Please review the Operator’s website for information.

FedEx, How to Ship Hazardous Materials

UPS, Guide for Transporting Hazardous Materials

International Shipments

Export Controls:  Items shipped internationally may be subject to export controls. Faculty and staff are responsible for maintaining compliance with export control laws. The WUSTL Export Controls website provides assistance with determining if and how export control regulations apply and obtaining the appropriate export license(s) before controlled items or technical data are transferred across U.S. boundaries or are accessed by foreign nationals on campus. 

If you are shipping from the US to another country: Import permits may be required by the country to which you are shipping the package.  Work with your collaborator to ensure these permits are obtained prior to shipping, and include a copy of the permit with your other shipping documents.

If you are importing an item into the US: Import permits may be required from one or more regulatory agencies. 

If you are importing any of the items below, use the CDC etool, “Do I need an import permit?”

  • Infectious biological agents capable of causing illness in humans
  • Materials known or reasonably expected to contain an infectious biological agent
  • Vectors of human disease (such as insects or bats)

Materials requiring import permits from USDA ( include: 

  • Animal and Animal Products
  • Biotechnology Permits
  • Plants, Organisms, and Soil
  • Veterinary Biologics

Importation of wildlife (including parts and products) requires a US Fish and Wildlife permit

For questions regarding customs: Customs brokers provide customer service dedicated specifically to individual shipments, which helps to ensure that these shipments clear customs and reach their destination in a safe and timely manner.

Examples of when to use a customs broker include shipments that contain hazardous or controlled materials that may require an export license; shipments that require dry ice packaging; or shipments that are bound for, or coming from, countries on a restricted trade list.

The university has empowered W.N. Epstein & Company, to represent the university as its customs broker. W.N. Epstein & Company has offices at most U.S. ports of entry and contacts at ports of call around the globe.  The St. Louis office is located at 4433 Woodson Road St. Louis, MO 63134.

Jerry Epstein
314-429-0673 ext. 112

Rob Downey, Purchasing Services
Fax: 935-4395